Monday, January 16, 2006

Scotiabank Visa Problems

Today I became extremely frustrated with Scotiabank and Visa. The problem stemmed from the fact that I was trying to buy a large liquor order (for the club) from our local liquor store. The card (which was not anywhere close to being over its limit) was declined and the machine suggested that the clerk needed to call Visa to obtain authorization for the transaction.

The problem was that this was the fourth time in three weeks that this has happened. Each time, it took half an hour on the phone, several transfers to other departments (about five), and a lot of explaining from me as to why I spend several thousand dollars per week on booze. It apparently doesn't matter that I have been running the club for about fifteen years, that I always buy my alcohol from the same merchant, and that I have had my Visa (a gold card) even longer than that. And apparently it doesn't matter that I keep doing the same thing, week after week.

Today's "customer service" rep suggested that I should go down to my local bank branch and get them to "put a VIP flag" on my card. When I replied that I had been told the same thing each of the last two weeks, and had done exactly as suggested with no apparent success, the telephone representative was less than forgiving. I refused to go back down to my branch for a third time, so I made a suggestion at this point myself, something along the lines of indicating my willingness to cut up my card and switch to a Bank of Montreal mastercard.

Perhaps the allure of talking to a man who spends $150,000 per year on alcohol tempered her subsequent reactions, because after I gave her the phone number of my branch and a couple names of people to talk to there, she said that she'd see what she could do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they have security procedures in place so that if someone steals my card, they aren't likely to be able to rack up a whole lot of purchases on my account. However, I'm curious to see what will happen next time I try to ring through a pallet of beer. I am fully confident that it will be declined, and the liquor store clerks will immediately go postal on the debit machine.

4 comments:

  1. I, too, have had a very bad experience with Scotiabank. Their so-called financial planner made some serious mistakes in my Tax Free Savings Account both last year and this year. These were entirely due to her carelessnes and incompetence.I have found that it is a waste of time trying to deal even at the level of the local bank manager. Threats to take all your business to another bank do have some impact. So does emailing the President of Scotiabank or the Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very frustrating case. I must say that I've always found RBC is really good with multiple purchases. I've only had a card with them for 1 year, and they approve everything I request quickly. It is also a high credit limit of 12K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were reading a complaint about Scotiabank Personal Banking.

    Filing a new complaint about
    I am extremely dissatisfied with the services I am receiving from Scotiabank specifically the mysterious disappearance of our cashback on our account. This results in me having to call the branch each and every time we make a deposit via the bank machine. They are very nice and helpful but the issue keeps recurring! There is not always time to deposit the oldfashioned Scotia way and go in to the branch. Also I find making deposits at this location via the teller to be an uncomfortable experience. They treat me with suspicion and seem unwilling to process deposits. This may be because I am clearly not so happy with the procedure. There is apparently no reason for the holds and they are extremely irritating.

    I do have a smallish investment account with Scotiabank. I will be moving this to ING or CIBC (CIBC is one fantastic bank when it comes to managing and handling my money. They are always and I do mean always reachable. In the unlikely event of a callback being necessary it happens fast.) I am so disappointed with Scotiabank. The people are nice but the system computer banking etc. is awful.


    Scotiabank Sheridan Centre, 2255 Erin Mills Pky Mississauga, ON L5K1T8 Phone: (905) 822-5354

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had more problems with Scotia Bank in the last 3yrs.
    From having my Debit and Visa Card frozen.
    Having my account limit dropped, from 1000.00 too 400.00. This always happens without my knowing. Its to the point now I'm surprised if my debit card actually works.

    I have spoken too bank management, and office of the president, numerous times.

    Was even told that I should have some other method of payment avaible.
    It was even suggested that I was shopping at shady business's..... I'm sure Walmart or homedepot would love to hear that.

    On one occasion I was even asked why I was doing business with my particualar branch(loyaltiy) Somehow I just can't see me having a future with the Scotia Bank any longer.

    Won't be long now before RBC gets my business.

    ReplyDelete